get one's rocks off

angelina barbosa

Portugal, Portuguese
Can anyone tell me what are the other possible meanings for "get your rocks off"? The expression is in one of Dylan's songs, but the problem is that the meaning in slang only makes sense in the first stanza... So what I need to know is if it can be used/translated literally.

• timpeac

English (England)
    angelina barbosa said:
    Can anyone tell me what are the other possible meanings for "get your rocks off"? The expression is in one of Dylan's songs, but the problem is that the meaning in slang only makes sense in the first stanza... So what I need to know is if it can be used/translated literally.
    One is to have an orgasm.

angelina barbosa

Portugal, Portuguese
    Yes, that is the one I knew. :D But as I said, in the other stanzas that just doesn't make any sense. Well, not to me, anyway : the man in a Greyhound bus, children outside shouting at him "get your rocks off"! See what I mean ? :confused:

ZhenDaoCreditsWriters

English North America
    Well, the children could be shouting at him to have an orgasm, but that's weird.

The only literal interpretation I can imagine is in a situation in which the man put some rocks on something he shouldn't have ~ like the roof of someone's car. But then we'd tend to say, "get those rocks off (my car)!"

Songs don't always make sense. :)

angelina barbosa

Portugal, Portuguese
    Yes, the whole song is really weird... :) I found out that "rocks" is also slang for "money". So would it be OK if I translated the expression as something like "give me your money"?

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    I think timpeac has the right definition for "get your rocks off." The rocks in question, at least in the general slang expression, are testicles. You have a case of "blue balls" and you have to "get off" to relieve the pressure and pain. Dylan plays with the term fancifully and a little confusingly, but the meaning of "rocks" is pretty clear in AE. In song lyrics, of course, the word always has secondary echoes of rocking and rolling, but the origin of that term is also sexual, and probably goes without explanation.

ewhite

USA/English
    I think the sexual meaning has been diluted somewhat, and tat at this point "get y your rocks off" has come to mean simply "enjoy oneself" or "vent".

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    ewhite said:
    I think the sexual meaning has been diluted somewhat, and tat at this point "get y your rocks off" has come to mean simply "enjoy oneself" or "vent".
    Could it be there's a gender difference in the usage here? I can see where the phrase might lose its immediacy or focus when applied to, say, a group of kids having fun at an amusement park-- could it really be used in that context?

I can't imagine a male saying "I got my rocks off" with any kind of "diluted" sense of its basic meaning, even if he was talking about the good time he had, at a rave for example.

I've never heard it used for "venting," if by that you mean going on a rant or having a good run to "let off some steam."

There could also be a generational difference at work here, if gender differences don't explain our divergent opinions.