Get out of hand

< Previous | Next >

Panpan

England, English
Hello all. Please could you tell me if there is an idiom in Italian that means 'get out of hand' i.e. to go out of control, e.g.

'The party got out of hand when another 300 people arrived unexpectedly'.

I have found a phrase 'prese la mano' that was translated 'went out of control', but the passage is describing a hand cart where the author lost control on a downhill slope, so I'm not sure if it is meant literally;

'Subito il carico mi prese la mano, le stanghe mi spezzavano i polsi, ...'

Could you use 'prese la mano' to describe losing control of a situation that did not require something being physically grasped in the hands to keep control?

Many thanks

Panpan

• Elisa68

Italian
    Piu' corretto sarebbe:

la situazione mi e' sfuggita di mano/ ho perso il controllo della situazione.

Puoi anche usare "prendere la mano", ma riguarda piu' un coinvolgimento personale:

Mi sono fatto prendere la mano da questa situazione.

Panpan

England, English
    Grazie Elisa68, ma quando diche 'un coinvolgimento personale', non sarrebbe neccessario che sia un coinvolgimento fisico? O si?
    Per favore mi scusa se la mia lingue italiano non e bene.
    Grazie ancora

Panpan

Elisa68

Italian
    I am sorry, I should have written also in English! :(

No, it is not necessarily physical could be also emotional.

For example:

La musica era cosi' bella che mi sono fatta prendere la mano.

Elisa68

Italian
    Panpan said:
    Grazie Elisa68, ma quando dici 'un coinvolgimento personale', non sarebbe necessario che fosse un coinvolgimento fisico? O si?
    Per favore scusami se non parlo molto bene l'italiano.
    Grazie ancora

Panpan

Just a minor correction

"Fosse" was right!!:) And your Italian is very good!!!:D

Panpan

England, English
    Actually, I understood you perfectly, I am just a little worried that I may be mangling your beautiful language with my replies.

Thanks for your very useful explanation

Panpan

Silvia

Italian
    sfuggire di mano = get out of control, get out of hand

Quando uno di loro ha afferrato una pistola, la situazione è sfuggita di mano
    When one of them grabbed a gun, things got out of hand

farsi prendere la mano = get enthusiastic about something therefore losing control, wanting more and more of it, not being able to stop or quit

Quando ha visto che stava vincendo, si è fatto prendere la mano e ha perso tutto

I'd like someone else to translate that, there must be a short way to say it.

Panpan

England, English
    Grazie Silvia e tutti.
    'Sfuggire' (di mano), to 'run away', also has an equivalent in English. Especially with regard to vehicles/machinery, we use 'ran out of control', in addition to 'got/went out of control/out of hand'.

Panpan

PS perhaps;
    'when he saw he had won, the victory went to his head, and he lost everything'

Silvia

Italian
    Panpan said:
    'when he saw he had won, the victory went to his head, and he lost everything'
    Quando ha capito che aveva vinto, la vincita gli è andata alla testa e ha perso tutto.

I guess there's a better translation for the phrase I made up in my earlier post.

< Previous | Next >