Get out of here!

< Previous | Next >

Nath0811

France - Français
Ok - I know this means something like Come on! You're kidding!
I have two questions - a) is it impolite?
and b) When would you rather use "Get out of here" rather than the two above?

For example - Is this correct:
- I just won the first prize!
- Get out of here!

Thanks! :p

• GenJen54

USA - English
    I don't think it's necessarily impolite, but I would use it among close friends and not people you don't know very well. This is primarily because you use it to express doubt.

As well, I think anymore it has also been shortened to simply "get out." (This is, at least, what I hear more often on TV, etc.)

Here's a brief example. Two teenage girls are on a trip in L.A. Friend No. 1 comes bursting into the hotel room, squealing:

Friend No. 1: Ohmygosh! You'll never guess who I just ran into in the elevator.

Friend No. 2: Who?

Friend No. 3: Brad Pitt! He was sooooo hot!

Friend No. 4: Get OUT! He's staying in this hotel?! Oh my gosh. We've got to go find him....

Other variants are: get outta here; get outta town

E-J

England, English
    Another variation, in British English, is "Get away!"

An even more popular expression these days is "No way!"

All of these express incredulity, disbelief, amazement, and they really belong in the context of younger people talking amongst themselves. If you're a more mature speaker, or don't want to be familiar or disrespectful towards the other person, you could use an exclamation like "That's incredible!" or "That's amazing!"

emma42

British English
    I have not heard "get out" in the UK - think this is USA English. In UK English you can also say "Get out of it!", informal but not impolite - expressing surprise or incredulity.

< Previous | Next >