get out of my league altogether

worldofword

spanish
Hello everyone! I woud like to know the meaning of the following expression which I found in a XX century English short story (The Valentine Generation, by John Wain)

The story is about a girl who asks a postman to give her back a letter which she has already sent to her boyfriend, telling all sorts of lies to hurt him. So she is explaining the whole story to this postman, but he is a bit pushed for time. This is what he says:

"I can see this is getting out of my league all together, so I make one last effort to brush her off.

What does the expression in bold mean?
Thank you!

• Doofy

English - US
    The issue is getting too complicated. He doesn't know how to handle it, and probably doesn't have the authority to grant her request.

"Out of my league" means that you can't compete in the situation. "I am a pretty good amateur football player, but these professional players are way out of my league."

Matching Mole

England, English
    To be out of one's league means to be out of one's depth. It means that you are not competent enough, or have the necessary level of skill to deal with something. It's a sporting expression, where competitions are divided into leagues of teams or competitors according to their abilities, so that teams of more or less equal abilities can play each other. If you find yourself in a league where the other players are much better than you, you would be "out of your league".

As Doofy says, there is a common variation where when someone else of a higher status than you is said to be "out of your league". "It's out of my league" can also mean (in reference to a purchase) "it's too expensive".

< Previous | Next >