"Get outside" vs "get out;" "get inside" vs "get in"

< Previous | Next >

Yngwie Malmsteen

Banned
Turkish
Hi everybody. For example instead of "If you keep on disturbing me, I will get out (of your room).", can I say "If you keep on disturbing me, I will get outside (of your room)"? Or instead of "Can I get in (your room)?", can I say "Can I get inside (your room)" in a situation where I knock the door of a person?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If you tell me to leave you alone, I will get out of your room.
    Can I come in(to) your room?
    Can I get in(to) your room?

Inside/outside wouldn't fit here.

Can I get into/inside your room=Can I squeeze myself into your (small) room?

Yngwie Malmsteen

Banned
    Turkish
    If you tell me to leave you alone, I will get out of your room.
    Can I come in(to) your room?
    Can I get in(to) your room?

Inside/outside wouldn't fit here.

Can I get into/inside your room=Can I squeeze myself into your (small) room?
    One of the definitions of "inside" on the internet site of Cambridge is: "in or into a room, building, container, or something similar"
    And one of the definitions of "outside" on the same site is: "not in a particular building or room, but near it"

Andygc

British English
    The meanings of these words depends on context. Sometimes "inside" may be replaced by "in". More usually it may not.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Come in" and "get out" in that context you mention imply movement into and out of the room. "Inside the room" and "outside the room" are more often used when talking about something static or something that is moving around inside or outside the room.

Stay inside your room. You are allowed to dance inside your room, not outside in the corridor.

Come inside. T
    his is roughly the same as "Come in": Come inside and we'll talk.
    Stay outside.

< Previous | Next >