Get potted

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Hi!
Does anyone know the meaning of this phrase?
Context >> two people talking about a third one, one says to the other that he is afraid of being "got potted"?
Any ideas? I've looked this phrase up but only got some gardening definition.... :)

• gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    potted ADJECTIVE: 1. Slang. Stupefied, intoxicated, or otherwise influenced by the taking of drugs: drugged. Informal : doped. Slang : high, hopped-up, lit (up), spaced-out, stoned, turned-on, wiped-out, zonked. See DRUGS . 2. Slang. Stupefied, excited, or muddled with alcoholic liquor: besotted, crapulent, crapulous, drunk, drunken, inebriate, inebriated, intoxicated, sodden, tipsy. Informal : cockeyed, stewed. Slang : blind, bombed, boozed, boozy, crocked, high, lit (up), loaded, looped, pickled, pixilated, plastered, sloshed, smashed, soused, stinking, stinko, stoned, tight, zonked. Idioms: drunk as a skunk, half-seas over, high as a kite, in one's cups, three sheets in (or to) the wind. See DRUGS .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roget's II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition by the Editors of The American Heritage® Dictionary.
    Copyright © 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    Other Important Information
    Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Thank you Guys!! The sentence is this >> "Sid's the rightest guy in the world, but he might get potted some night".

So it's possible that definition of "stoned" "intoxicated".... I'll try to see if I can find the rest of the paragraph.

Thanks again

fenixpollo

American English
    Artrella said:
    So it's possible that definition of "stoned" "intoxicated"....
    It's an archaic slang word for being drunk. I think it refers to the ancient serving of beer -- not in glasses, but in pots.

Other archaic words that I know are pickled, stewed, toasted, juiced, and buttered ... and those are just the food-related terms! (source)

¡Salud!

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    fenixpollo said:
    It's an archaic slang word for being drunk. I think it refers to the ancient serving of beer -- not in glasses, but in pots.

Other archaic words that I know are pickled, stewed, toasted, juiced, and buttered ... and those are just the food-related terms! (source)

¡Salud!
    Archaic: adj. From when I was young.

It was extremely common as recently as the 1970s, but Pollo wasn't around yet, so it's archaic. In ten years, dubya will be archaic. I can't wait.:)

Here's what the Urbandictionary tells us:

slang for getting very drunk; see also wasted, smashed, blitzed, and blotto
    I went on a pub crawl last night and got completely potted.
    Source: StreakyBacon, Dec 25, 2004

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    fenixpollo said:

¡Salud!

HEY!!! Are you saying I am archaic??!! :mad: :p We also used to call someone who took drugs often (especially marijuana) a pothead.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Well...now that I know that this is not a "phrase" but just "pot"... I think I've heard in some movie that word but referred to "marihuana"... is this possible?
    Maybe because you can grow it in pots? >> Crazy idea... :D

Swettenham

U.S.
    For smoking marijuana I have heard: Get high, get stoned, get blitzed, get baked.

For drinking alcohol: Get drunk, get tipsy, get sloshed, get sick (this happens later ;))

For all intoxicants: Get wasted, get f*cked up.

More drug slang here.

I've never heard this archaic "get potted." Must be Medieval! :D :p

Swettenham

U.S.
    gotitadeleche said:
    Hi Art, Yes when I was younger, we called marijuana pot (isn't it still called that?). Potted was being stoned on pot and a pothead was a person who was always (or often) stoned on pot (refer to my post #10).
    Yes, we still call it pot, but weed is more common. A person who smokes a lot is still a pothead, but I've never heard "potted."

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    gotitadeleche said:
    Hi Art, Yes when I was younger, we called marijuana pot (isn't it still called that?). Potted was being stoned on pot and a pothead was a person who was always (or often) stoned on pot (refer to my post #10).

Gotix.... we know... so we are teaching this younger people about "pot"....hee hee.... hey! but still young...for ever young... :D

fenixpollo

American English
    More marijuana slang: (source)
    Aunt Mary, Boom, Chronic (Marijuana alone or with crack), Dope, Gangster, Ganja, Grass, Hash, Herb, Kif, Mary Jane, Pot, Reefer, Sinsemilla, Skunk, Weed
    I know what potted means, even though I don't use it. I didn't mean to suggest that other people who know it or who might have used it are so extremely old as to be antediluvian. Sorry to have offended anyone born before 1970 with my reference to archaic vocabulary. Perhaps I should have used antiquated?

I should have said that potted is not widely used outside of the daylily culturing community, and no longer used to describe a state of inebriation -- except in the Drunktionary.

Cheers?

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    fenixpollo said:
    More marijuana slang: (source)I know what potted means, even though I don't use it. I didn't mean to suggest that other people who know it or who might have used it are so extremely old as to be antediluvian. Sorry to have offended anyone born before 1970 with my reference to archaic vocabulary. Perhaps I should have used antiquated?

I should have said that potted is not widely used outside of the daylily culturing community, and no longer used to describe a state of inebriation -- except in the Drunktionary.

Cheers?
    King Fenix... maybe we are not "archaic" I mean Gotix and I, but we know because we read a lot... ;)
    Besides, that sentence was given to me and I think it is from a book, probably written before or during the 60's or 70's....

Cheers!! :p

Jonegy

UK - English
    Artrella said:
    Thank you Guys!! The sentence is this >> "Sid's the rightest guy in the world, but he might get potted some night".

So it's possible that definition of "stoned" "intoxicated".... I'll try to see if I can find the rest of the paragraph.

Thanks again
    Hmmmm - no one seems to have picked up the "pot-shot" side of potted theme.

ie: "Sid's the rightest..... (as in smart = smart mouthed, and in the right company, comical and acceptable - until someone takes exception to the remarks)... get potted (punched etc)....."

As an almost daily user of sarcasm, I ALWAYS take a note of who might take umbrage and occasionally bite my tongue (escpecially if they're bigger than me !! ;) )

Just goes to show how many ways you can look at this "simple" language of ours. :D

< Previous | Next >