{Get/receive/accept} sb's {help/aid/assistance}

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hello everybody

Please let me know that which item within my self-made groups below doesn't sound natural or idiomatic to you and why:

1-1- May I get help from you once in a while?
1-2- May I get aid from you once in a while?
1-3- May I get assistance from you once in a while?

2-1- Flood-stricken people have not received any help from anybody yet.
2-2- Flood-stricken people have not received any aid from anybody yet.
2-3- Flood-stricken people have not received any assistance from anybody yet.

3-1- I'm too proud to accept any help from someone.
3-2- I'm too proud to accept any aid from someone.
3-3- I'm too proud to accept any assistance from someone.

To me, they all convey the same message, but I need to discover the feedback on a native speaker's mind about them.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Help is usually physical - an act done to or for you for your benefit, or the act of supplying a person with something that is useful. "He gave him help to get out of the hole." "They need help to grow crops." (The recipient of "help" does not necessarily have to do anything.)
    Aid is currently used as an uncountable noun with a general meaning: services, money, advice, and/or goods that are required by persons to improve their circumstances. "The government dropped aid packages from aircraft"; "The charity supplied aid to the distressed villagers."
    Assistance usually involves close contact with the distressed person or people in order to help them help themselves: the recipient must do something. "The villagers were given assistance in rebuilding their homes."

All of section 1 sounds artificial; 2 and 3 are not particularly idiomatic.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The big problems, A-friend, are
    (i) the lack of context: it is possible to say almost anything in the appropriate context.
    (ii) I do not know the underlying reason for the questions about help, aid and assistance:
    (a) Are you trying to understand, in general terms, the differences and similarities? Are you about to write a specific sentence?
    (b) Do you suspect that there is a single collocation of words that will be always correct?
    (c) Are you looking for a translation?
    (d) etc.

< Previous | Next >