get started to do

< Previous | Next >

Helen White

Chinese - Taiwanese
Hi all,
I am learning this phrase "get started." I know I can say "let's get started" "how can I get started?" and more. I am not sure if I can say "get started to do something." I give a sentence I made by myself:
English is a very important language. We should work hard to speak English fluently. Read these related quality articles and get started to learn English.
Is the bold sentence correct? Am I using the phrase "get started" properly? I need your help. Many thanks:)

• Helen White

Chinese - Taiwanese
    I wouldn't say "get started to do something", simply "start to do" or "start doing" something.

cross-posted
    Thanks for your replies, moustic and Edinburgher. I saw some sentences from Google: Monosnap
    How to get started to become selforganized
    How do I get started to learn network security?
    Maybe I was misled by these sentences or I didn't understand them.
    Are these sentences correct? Is there any difference between these two sentences and the one I made?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    They don't sound native-idiomatic to me. You might say "get started to do something" if the "doing something" is the purpose of getting started doing something else to achieve that purpose.

Your "selforganized" example is from a German source, and it sounds like a typical mistake a German-speaker would make. The other example in from an unknown source.

Helen White

Chinese - Taiwanese
    They don't sound native-idiomatic to me. You might say "get started to do something" if the "doing something" is the purpose of getting started doing something else to achieve that purpose.

Your "selforganized" example is from a German source, and it sounds like a typical mistake a German-speaker would make. The other example in from an unknown source.
    Got it. Thank you, Edinburgher.

Helen White

Chinese - Taiwanese

Edinburgher, I revised my original sentence in the following ways. Do you think they are OK? Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks
    Read these related quality articles and learn English. Let's get started.
    Read these related quality articles and let's get started to learn English

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Read these related quality articles and learn English. Let's get started. :tick: This one sounds fine to me.
    Read these related quality articles and let's get started to learn English. :cross: This is your unrevised original, and doesn't sound good to me.

Helen White

Chinese - Taiwanese
    Read these related quality articles and learn English. Let's get started. :tick: This one sounds fine to me.
    Read these related quality articles and let's get started to learn English. :cross:This is your unrevised original, and doesn't sound good to me.
    Thank you very much, Edinburgher. Now, I am much clearer about what I learn.:)

< Previous | Next >