Get started vs get it started

< Previous | Next >

qasxc001

Hungarian - Hungary
I'd have a request about the issue:

What do the get started and get it started mean accurately grammatically? I write my thoughts as I know but if it's not correct, please someone fix it!

Get + past participle = Imperative/hortative mood (2nd person singular [you]) and reflexive to implied subject (you) ie. the subject (you) is the sufferer (passive) of the acting verb.

Eg:
get started = you (yourself) start, involve to whatever (eg. race)
get opened = you (yourself) open yourself for whatever (eg. topics)​

Get + object + past participle = Imperative/hortative mood (2nd person singular [you]) and the implied subject (you) causes/creates/impact that situation for the "object" to be performed. Not the subject performs the action but initiates an appeal that someone perform the action.

Eg:
get the party started = you cause/create/impact that situation that someone start the party.​

Last edited:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    What exactly is your question, qasxc001? You seem to have a good understanding of what the two phrases mean. Please give us a sentence that uses one or the other, and that illustrates your question, with an explanation of what is confusing you.

qasxc001

Hungarian - Hungary
    Maybe I made my question confusingly... Not really a question rather needing an affirmation, a feedback whether my statements are correct or not. But concluding from your words I've a good knowledge concerning to my issue.

< Previous | Next >