get started with something

< Previous | Next >

zzzwor

chinese
in some software's offical website,there will be a link "get started (with xxx)"
I wonder what's the meaning of "start" here
and,i think "get" means "make",so the expression means "make sth. started"?
what is "sth." for here?

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I could very easily say 'to get started on something' or 'to make a start'. The something would then be the work to which I was beginning to apply myself.

'To get started with something' suggests that the start is being assisted by the something, or that the something is the appliance which I am using to make a start. I might get started on the lawn with the brush cutter, before leaving it a few days and using the lawn mower, for instance.

zzzwor

chinese
    no no no,now i think sth. is just the web visitor or reader itself
    cause of that i fond the following sentance in a web page:
    There are many more ways to style your fonts, and many things are possible through CSS. We are simply providing a few ideas to get you started

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In some software's official website, there will be a link "Get started with XXX". I wonder what's the meaning of "start" here. And I think "get" means "make", so the expression means "make something started".
    No, get doesn't mean "make". Get started is a verb phrase meaning begin [an activity]. In reference to a piece of software, "XXX", "Get started with XXX" = Begin using XXX.

P.S.: Please note that in English, the pronoun "I" is always capitalized, as is the first letter of every sentence, and there is no such word as "sth".

< Previous | Next >