get started

< Previous | Next >

penguinsss

chinese - china
Hi, i have two questions about get started

Is this sentence correct or does I need to fix it?

I get started on the new story about aliens - i'm trying to say i want to begin a new story about aliens.

Also, is get started passive voice or other?

Thanks!!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "To get started on" = "to begin." If you're trying to say "I want to begin a new story about aliens," then you could say "I want to get started on a new story about aliens."

penguinsss

chinese - china
    Oh ok, that makes sense. thanks Florenta! last question, is get started an example for get-passives or is it a phrase by itself??

florance

danish
    There are many uses for the word 'get' and one such instance is following it with a "participle" like 'started'

Anyway, I think "I get started on the new story" as well as "begin a new story" may sound a bit vague, at least to me as it can go two ways - either you starting to write a story or read one... If you are referring to the former case than perhaps you can say " I have to get started on writing this story"

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    is get started an example for get-passives or is it a phrase by itself?
    It's not passive. "You'll get punished" (= "You'll be punished") is passive, because you'll be punished by someone. But if you "get started", you won't be started by anyone.

In expressions such as "get started", "get" has the sense of "reach a state of being ...", or "become". It's the same sense as when someone "gets bored" or "gets drunk"; (though if you say "That beer will get drunk", then it is passive;)).

Sometimes it's a very fine line between the two constructions: "He's getting bored" is arguably not passive if it just refers to the state of boredom, not caused by any particular 'agent'; but "He's getting bored by the story" is clearly passive: the story is boring him.

Ws

< Previous | Next >