Get the hook. Get it?

MrRise

Russian
Hello, could you help me to get the meanings of these two 'gets'?

It's from Tomatoa's song from Moana, perhaps the last things which are unclear to me. And I guess 'Get it?' means 'Did you understand it?'

But what about 'Get the hook'? (The hook is Maui's weapon) I tried to find something, and, I guess it means: 'Get your/the hook ready.' or 'Prepate your/the hook (to fight) ' Get ready to battle, have your hook ready and so on.

Is it right? Get has a lot of meanings, but maybe it's just omitting 'ready' here?

Let's imagine a situation, where a soldier has to prepare his weapon for battle, could his commander say:

- The battle will start soon, get your weapon!

Like: Prepate your weapon, get your weapon ready?

So that's the question, I don't know if 'ready' could be omitted, or it's even something else here. It could be clear enough, if it's just omitting to be in rhyme and, maybe to be short (when it's war).

Maby thanks in advance!

• MrRise

Russian
    I have never heard or read this. Do you have some context about what is happening, and a link - and you can quote up to four lines of the song.
    Here it is: < Unapproved video link removed. Cagey, moderator >

Lyrics: What a terrible performance,
    Get the hook
    Get it?
    You don't swing it like you used to, man.

By the context, Maui uses his hook to turn into animals, and Tomatoa knows it, and said: "Prepate your hook to fight with me.", but he said: "Get your hook", nothing more. Overmore, in this scene Maui just got beaten by Tomatoa, for not being able to use the hook. Maui unlearned to use his hook, but anyway, does 'Get the hook' could mean 'Prepate your hook to fight'?

Last edited by a moderator:

pob14

American English
    "What a terrible performance" is the key context.

In vaudeville days (at least as portrayed in movies), if an act was really bad the stage manager would pull them offstage with a giant hook. The crab is saying that Maui's "performance" was so bad that he should be hooked offstage with his own hook.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    "What a terrible performance" is the key context.

In vaudeville days (at least as portrayed in movies), if an act was really bad the stage manager would pull them offstage with a giant hook. The crab is saying that Maui's "performance" was so bad that he should be hooked offstage with his own hook.
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >