get the hook out

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

1. CIOs should come from the business – not the technology – ranks: technology-rooted CIOs will never really understand the importance of business as the technology driver. When prospective CIOs start talking about network latency and virtualization it’s time to get the hook out; go with the pro talking about up-selling and cross-selling every time.

Could you tell me the meaning of the red part?

Best wishes

• Matching Mole

England, English
    This is a fishing term used as metaphor, I presume, and what a dreadful example of metaphor it is (par for the course in this kind of writing, to use a golfing metaphor).

I can only presume that the unsuitable CIO is imagined as being "hooked" (employed) and his employers are urged to "get the hook out" and throw him back into the sea (employment market).

Anyone disagree?

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Hi, Matching Mole
    :

I had thought so, but someone told me it is a hook usually used in popular cartoon (taking someone out of the screen)

Is it more reasonable?

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    I see,
    here's the quote:

If someone is very bad on stage (as in an old-style vaudeville routine), a giant hook would come out, loop around that person's neck and drag that person offstage. (You see it in cartoons sometimes.)

So, "get the hook out" means to get rid of someone, usually unceremoniously.

[To clarify: It means "bring out the hook" to get rid of the person. It's a somewhat humorous phrase.]

Here is the picture

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/attachments/month_0707/4744_wbNeY4aFrpRO.jpg

I think both express similar ideas

domangelo

United States English
    This used to be done in the old days of Vaudeville amateur shows. If the performer was really, really bad, a comic character in the wings would extend a hook and pull the performer off stage by the neck! This can still be seen on the TV show "Saturday Night at the Apollo". If the audience boos loud enough the character comes out and "shoos' the performer off the stage.

Oh, I guess I have to admit I didn't read hly2004's full comment.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I lack any grounds for suggesting this as a preferable or likelier explanation, but it is possible, I believe: perhaps it means that once you've decided that your techno-centric CIO is unsuitable, you would commence dangling your fishing hook, looking to "catch" a replacement that has more general business experience and a greater focus on sales.

domangelo

United States English
    Actually, I have heard this expression before, albeit very rarely. As I understand it, you are being told to find that hook backstage somewhere and pull the windbag off the stage. It fits in well in this context.

< Previous | Next >