get to know / meet / come to know / get familiar with a new culture

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Hi there,

- What's the advantage of staying in Bed and Breakfast?
- You can get to know\meet\come to know\get familiar with a new culture by living with a native family.

Which option do you find the best?

Thank you!

• katie_here

England/English
    Can I just say that in England at least, staying in a bed and breakfast is quite impersonal and you wouldn't get to know the family at all.

Bed and Breakfast is just that, you have a room and a bed for the night, where the owner or staff will cook a breakfast in the morning and that's it!.

I think what you are looking for is a host family, where you actually live with people as part of their family,

'You can learn about a new culture by living with a native family' sounds the best to me.

wolfbm1

Polish
    Would the following sentence be O.K.:
    I would like to visit Dublin because I want to get to know Irish culture and its history.
    Does it mean the same as:
    I would like to visit Dublin because I want to learn about Irish culture and its history. (I wonder if I could remove the word "about" in that sentence.)

Last edited:

boozer

Bulgarian
    Wolf, they are similar in meaning, as I'm sure you know. However, 'to get to know the Irish culture' somehow suggests to me a more comprehensive kind of acquaintance with the Irish culture, whereas 'learn about' does not imply such an intimate knowledge. In addition, I feel the latter suggests learning from a position of next to no knowledge at all. I am curious to see what others think. :)

wolfbm1

Polish
    Thank you, boozer, for your intersesting point of view. In fact, I mean a more comprehensive kind of acquaintance with Irish culture, language and history.
    Edit: Well, one can never get to know/learn about/learn something thoroughly. There's always something new to discover (learn?).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >