get to know" or "recognize"?

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
If I want my kids to learn about something they are not familiar with, for example, human organs, can I say "today, let's get to know(maybe it is "recognize" or "get familiar with") human organs and their positions"? If not, what is the common experssion for it?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Your remark is possible, as is "Let's learn to recognize human organs and their positions." Or "Let's learn about human organs and their positions."

Egmont

English - U.S.
    You can say either one, but their meanings are different.

To recognize something means to be able to identify it from its appearance. To get to know something means knowing something about what it does, where it is found, and so on. Being able to recognize something might be the first step in getting to know it, but it is only the first step.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you.
    You can say either one, but their meanings are different.

To recognize something means to be able to identify it from its appearance. To get to know something means knowing something about what it does, where it is found, and so on. Being able to recognize something might be the first step in getting to know it, but it is only the first step.
    Acording to your explanation, I think "get to know" is more suitalbe for my situation intended: I will say some organs first and tell my kids where they are and what use do they have.

< Previous | Next >