Get Up And Running <vs> Get Up To Speed

< Previous | Next >

cat2jackson

Russian
Hi Everyone,

It's been at least seven years since I started using both idioms when talking about new projects and gaining an understanding
of them and/or new technologies. However, I've seen numerous cases where those two idiomatic expressions are used quite interchangeably.

For instance:

(1) The first thing that I am going to do is get up to speed on/with that technology. Then I'll get up and running with the project

(2) First of all, I'll get up and running with the .NET Framework. Then I am going to get up to speed with finance and start contributing to the project.

or

(1') He is up to speed on that tecnology.

(2') He is already up and running with the version control system.

What is the subtlety of distinction between 'Get up to speed' and 'get un and running'? As a native, when would you prefer to use (1) versus (2) (and vice versa)?

Thank you!

• owlman5

English-US
    I'd never thought about any difference between the two expressions before, but I suppose that "to get up and running" implies that you start with nothing and begin to function. "To get up to speed" could imply that you are somewhat functional as you begin and then your performance improves.

That said, I probably wouldn't make this distinction if I heard either phrase in a normal conversation. Both versions would give me the same idea: that your performance at some task improves over time.

< Previous | Next >