get up to speed

< Previous | Next >

Hole

Croatia - Croatian
Hi!
What does this mean in the following context? "Never let Board members flounder, help them get up to speed". This is one of the tips for the Chair of some board within an organization. I know that "to be up to speed" means to have all the recent information, but I'm not sure if it's about that. Are they only trying to say "help them keep pace" or "help them be quicker"?

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In this particular example the Chairman is being advised to ensure that Board members are fully-informed, and indeed to ensure that they never feel that they are not fully-informed.
    At that level many people (too many people) will not tolerate giving any impression of what they perceive as weakness. If not fully-informed (up to speed) they are therefore likely to form ill-informed and unwise judgements that they will refuse to change because in their view to change indicates weakness or incompetence.
    They will not readily forgive those who have placed thim in a position where they are not fully-informed.

AlexanderIII

Russian
    Dear all,
    I've translated an educational film about ancient Persian impire and come across a phrase I don't know what to think of.
    Krefter is an architct, he has no acheological background, soon he will have a job at the excavations in Persia.

Krefter reads up on ancient history, to get up to speed for the job.

Does this mean he reads up on anciant history to increase his chances of having the job? Or he needs to do so because he will need the knowledge in his future work. These are the pure guesses. Could you help please?

<< This thread has been merged with a previous thread. :) >>

Last edited by a moderator:

ewie

English English
    Hello Alex. To get up to speed for the job = 'to acquaint himself with all the details of the job in advance of it', 'to learn everything he needs to know to tackle the job', that kind of thing:)

paul0707

Chinese
    Hi there, what does the phrase "get up to speed on things" mean? And what's the origin of the phrase?

<< This thread has been merged with previous threads. :) >>

Loob

English UK
    Hi paul

We always ask people here to "look for the answer first".

If you put "up to speed" into the search box at the top of the page, you'll find:

~ this definition:
    • 1 operating at full speed or capacity.

• 2 informal fully informed or up to date.
    ~ lots of previous threads: click

:)

paul0707

Chinese
    Hi paulWe always ask people here to "look for the answer first". If you put "up to speed" into the search box at the top of the page, you'll find:~ this definition:~ lots of previous threads: click :)
    I divided the phrase into "get up" and "speed on things", apparently it was a mistake.Thank you for your tip, next time I will try the forum search box first. :)

Sedoso

Português
    Hello y'all!
    I'd like to give me the contest or were did you see this expression?
    it's the best way to help you quickly! :)

rzezucha

polish
    "Despite all he had to deal with, from the suffering of the Tibetan people to staying in the good graces of his Indian hosts, modernizing monastic education, and tending to his own spiritual practice, somehow the Dalai Lama had found time to get up to speed on neuroscience." (Richard J. Davidson 'The Emotional Life of Your Brain')

Does it mean 'to enrich his knowledge' (or something like that) about neuroscience?

<< This thread has been merged with previous threads. :) >>

< Previous | Next >