Get used to +adjectives [to being 'adjective']

• owlman5

English-US
    I disagree. I am suddenly happy as I do something. This state is unfamiliar to me. In time I'll get used to it. When that time comes I will have gotten used to being happy. The statement does sound odd, though.

Copyright

American English
    Hi, Owlman... who are you disagreeing with? What I found odd was the question: Can 'get used to' be followed by an adjective? Followed by an example that didn't use an adjective: "be happy" or "being happy."

But parts of speech is not my long suit. Are we saying that those two are adjectives?

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Owlman... who are you disagreeing with? What I found odd was the question: Can 'get used to' be followed by an adjective? Followed by an example that didn't use an adjective: "be happy" or "being happy."

But parts of speech is not my long suit. Are we saying that those two are adjectives?
    My apologies, Copyright. For some reason I read your last remark to mean that you didn't approve of the "getting used to being happy" statement. Upon re-reading your reply, I don't know where my confusion came from. Anyhow, I'm generally uncomfortable whenever I even think I'm disagreeing with you. I try to reason carefully whenever this happens. You're a great source for advice about our language, and I trust your instincts on the most natural way to say things.

Copyright

American English
    My apologies, Copyright. For some reason I read your last remark to mean that you didn't approve of the "getting used to being happy" statement. Upon re-reading your reply, I don't know where my confusion came from. Anyhow, I'm generally uncomfortable whenever I even think I'm disagreeing with you. I try to reason carefully whenever this happens. You're a great source for advice about our language, and I trust your instincts on the most natural way to say things.
    Oh, don't ever be afraid of disagreeing with me -- I'm more opinion than erudition. :) And I hang around here as much for the learning as the opining. :D

I really don't know parts of speech all that well, so when I see "adjective," I think simplistically: burnt rice, red bike, big boy, beautiful girl. And "be happy" and especially "being happy" (which is fine in your sentence) just didn't strike me as adjectives -- that was my only point. But I may be wrong. :D

Definitely no apologies necessary.

PulauPandan

Indonesian
    Thank you very much, Mr Copyright and Mr Owlman.
    Maybe my question is ambiguous. I actually mean: "Does the you'll get used to being adjective make sense?" like:
    "If you want to join us, you'll have to get yourself used to being diligent"
    And Mr Owlman has answered my question. Thanks again.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Used to" takes a noun, such as Copyright's "burnt rice". Here, "being" is a gerund, which means that it functions as noun. That is why you can get used to being happy, but you can't get used to "happy", or "be happy".

< Previous | Next >