Mahootsukai

German
Hi! I was wondering if a sentence like this would sound natural and correct :
"I went to the gym to get used to exercising"

Thank you for your help in advance :)

• Language Hound

American English
    Welcome to the forum, Mahootsukai!:)
    Using "to get used to" does not sound natural to me here.
    What meaning do you want your sentence to have?

Mahootsukai

German
    Thank you for your reply, Language Hound :)
    I wanted to convey the meaning that I decided to start going to the gym 3 times a week to make my body get used to physical exertion.. How is it possible to say correctly I wonder...

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi! I was wondering if a sentence like this would sound natural and correct :
    "I went to the gym to get used to exercising"

Thank you for your help in advance :)
    I'm interested that a speaker of American English does not find this natural.

I'd regard it as idiomatic in British English, not unusual at all.

The simple past (I went) can easily be used as an imperfect (I was in the habit of going).

Language Hound

American English
    I'm interested that a speaker of American English does not find this natural...
    Perhaps in the larger context of an actual conversation it would not strike me as so odd.
    However, just by itself, "I went to the gym to get used to exercising" sounds strange to me--especially the "to get used to exercising" part.
    Based on the intended meaning provided by the OP in post #3, I'd be more likely to say:
    I started going to the gym so my body would get used to exercising/be no stranger to exercise.
    However, for me, even that would require a larger context (such as preparing for some eventual physical feat) to sound perfectly natural.
    If there is no long-term goal (like hiking the Appalachian Trail for example) and the goal is simply to get the body "used to physical exertion,"
    I'd probably say something like: I started going to the gym to get fit/healthier/...

Mahootsukai

German
    Perhaps in the larger context of an actual conversation it would not strike me as so odd.
    However, just by itself, "I went to the gym to get used to exercising" sounds strange to me--especially the "to get used to exercising" part.
    Based on the intended meaning provided by the OP in post #3, I'd be more likely to say:
    I started going to the gym so my body would get used to exercising/be no stranger to exercise.
    However, for me, even that would require a larger context (such as preparing for some eventual physical feat) to sound perfectly natural.
    If there is no long-term goal (like hiking the Appalachian Trail for example) and the goal is simply to get the body "used to physical exertion,"
    I'd probably say something like: I started going to the gym to get fit/healthier/...
    Yes, here you have answered my question, thank you!

< Previous | Next >