get used to the new life or start their new lives

brian&me

Chinese - China
Many people got in trouble and some even lost their homes (in the rainstorm). Our government provided them with tents and medical treatment immediately. <...> They decided on many different ways to help the homeless. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)-----> “I feel good because I could help so many people out and I hope they will get used to the new life,” said the farm worker, Li Chuannan.

(Project English 9A, page 20, Wang Dechun, an English textbook for junior middle school students in China)

I wonder if the sentence I hope they will get used to the new life is typical in the context. What about I hope they will start their new lives soon?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • boozer

Bulgarian
    If a rainstorm caused damages and left people homeless, it is weird and rather callous to hope that they will get used to the new life (the life of the homeless :confused: :D), unless the help they received consisted in building new homes for them.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I'm not sure what you mean by "typical in this context," brian&me. Getting used to a new life an starting a new life are two different things. Which do you want too say?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I think the inference I'd draw from the description there is that the victims are being given practical help in rebuilding their lives after the disaster.

So while Li's comment is not what I would regard as "typical" of what a native (BE) speaker would say in the circumstances, I don't think "I hope they will start their new lives soon" works any better.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks, everyone.
    What about I hope they will overcome their difficulties soon or I hope their lives will come back to the normal state soon.
    Thanks again.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    What about I hope they will overcome their difficulties soon.
    It's reasonably idiomatic, but it sounds rather weak and half-hearted in the context of the people having lost everything they owned and having had their lives turned completely upside-down.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    brian&me, we can't discuss all of the possible sentences that someone might use in a particular situation. If you know the meaning you would like to convey, and have a specific question about a word or phrase in a sentence, we will be happy to help.

< Previous | Next >