get used to...

polar44

Banned
Korean
The following sentences are about the popularity of chili peppers in Thailand and other countires and I am not sure the underlying mening of the sentences. Can you help me?

Three of these (capsaicin) deliver immediate kick to the throat at the back of the palate, and the two others convey a slower, longer lasting, and less fierce heat on the tongue and mid-palate.MMMMMMM, say my Thai friends, who have had decades to get used it.( chili pepper)

• mplsray

The following sentences are about the popularity of chili peppers in Thailand and other countires and I am not sure the underlying mening of the sentences. Can you help me?

Three of these (capsaicin) deliver immediate kick to the throat at the back of the palate, and the two others convey a slower, longer lasting, and less fierce heat on the tongue and mid-palate.MMMMMMM, say my Thai friends, who have had decades to get used it.( chili pepper)
    It should be "to get used to it," meaning, "to become accustomed to it," "to become habituated to it."

polar44

Banned
    Korean
    I know the meaning. But what does the sentence exactly mean? Does it mean it took a long for him to get used to the hot taste of chili pepper?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I know the meaning. But what does the sentence exactly mean? Does it mean it took a long for him to get used to the hot taste of chili pepper?
    The sentence means that his Thai friends have been eating peppers for decades, so if they needed a long time (many decades) to get used to it, they had that much time.

"But" means that his Thai friends had enough time to get used to it, but other people haven't. Probably he means that he hasn't, but that depends on the rest of the context. Does he say that they are too hot for him?

< Previous | Next >