Get Your Butt Out The Way

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
- Hey! Watch out! get your butt out the way.

- As far as I know, this is a very rude way to say. So are there other polite and common ways? :)

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    The most polite way would be "Please move."

"Move!" would be less polite, as would "get out of the way."

"Move your ass" and "get your butt out of the way" are definitely informal; if you're familiar with or a friend of the person you are addressing, it wouldn't necessarily be rude.

mtmjr

English (US)
    - Hey! Watch out! Get your butt out the way.

- As far as I know, this is a very rude way thing to say. So are there other polite and common ways? :)

Thanks a lot!

NamLan
    Well, considering the circumstance, the speaker seems to be in an informal and exclamatory mood, so it is understandable that he/she would use a slightly less polite way to ask someone to move. That said, you could say:

Hey! Watch out! Move out the way!
    Hey! Watch out! Get out the way!

No matter what, the speech sounds informal, so politely asking the person to please excuse themself would sound silly.

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    I agree with mtmjr (user). It seems like the person really needs to get out of the way to avoid danger. So in those situations we don't want to say "Please" or things like that we want the other person to get the message as mtmjr has mentioned. It sounds like the person knows the other person because he/she said it very informally!

Pablo

bibliolept

AE, Español
    If a situation involves immediate danger, there is little reason to attempt to be polite to begin with, roxcyn. However, NamLan did not provide any specific context. His request as, in fact, for politer, idiomatic versions.

< Previous | Next >