"Get your proud on"

G4AAB2LZCH

Italiano
Hi,

I would like to know the translation of this advertising sentence:

" Get your proud on "

It means: " Hold on your proud"? (maybe)

What does get mean in this case?

Thank!

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    What's wrong with the sentence? For one thing, 'proud' is an adjective and 'pride' is the related noun. The pattern should be 'get your [noun] on'. 'To get something on' usually means 'to put on'. 'I got my waterproof boots on and waded through the flood.' Pride is an abstract uncountable noun so we don't usually talk about putting it on but this could be a metaphorical way of speaking, 'to wear something'= to make it obvious to everybody. Don't be ashamed to be proud of yourself or some achievement, perhaps.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    I'm seeing "Get your ____ on" more and more in ads and such--with the use of nouns, adjectives, and verbs.

Advertisers must think the construction is modern and hip...

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    This kind of expression, that spawns numerous variations, is known as a "snowclone". Here is a possible explanation for the similar phrase, "Get your geek on" - it's claimed that the original phrase may have been "get your groove on":

"Get your geek on" is a subtle nod to "Get Ur Freak On," a 2001 song by Missy Elliot that helped popularize a trend of "get your X on" constructions. (As discussed on the American Dialect Society mailing list, the founding phrase is likely "get your groove on," attested from the early '90s.)
    http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/get-your-geek-on-at-public-libraries/

< Previous | Next >