Get your rocks off

Rainbowlight

Spanish
Hello everyone,

I would like to know which would be the Spanish equivalent of the chorus of Primal Scream's song "Rocks". It is indeed a rock number and the lyrics of the chorus repeat the sentence "Get your rocks off" throughout the song. I've looked up the term in several online dictionaries and they all seem to agree that it is an idiom that means "to have an orgasm".

Could anyone please help me to find a Spanish translation for it?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

• Hola:

El diccionario WR también la define de esta manera. Dado que tienes claro que significa to have an orgasm, ¿cuál es la traducción que necesitas, aparte de la traducción directa tener un orgasmo?

get your rocks off v exprslang (have an orgasm) (jerga, tener un orgasmo, Esp)correrse v prnl
    tener un orgasmo, alcanzar el orgasmo loc verb
    Tony wants to get his rocks off.
    get your rocks off v exprslang (get pleasure from [sth]) (jerga)pasarlo de puta madre, pasarlo genial loc verb

Dado que tienes claro que significa to have an orgasm, ¿cuál es la traducción que necesitas, aparte de la traducción directa tener un orgasmo?

I assume that Rainbow wants something similar in register to that of the English, which is extremely slang and colloquial, much more so than tener un orgasmo. The English expression would be inappropriate in polite company, and the Spanish translation should be equally so.

Sure, but since Rainbowlight is a native Spanish speaker and is asking for help with a translation into Spanish, I am pretty sure that s/he could come up with something that suits his/ her needs, so I wonder what exactly s/he wants/ needs.

Let me see if I understand this...according to your profile you are a native Spanish speaker but yet need help translating something into Spanish?

Hello @Rainbowlight
    Please confirm whether you are asking for a translation of the phrase in the title from English to Spanish.
    Since you appear to know what the phrase means, it's rather confusing that you don't already know the Spanish equivalent.
    Thank you.

Let me see if I understand this...according to your profile you are a native Spanish speaker but yet need help translating something into Spanish?
    Yes.
    I assume that Rainbow wants something similar in register to that of the English, which is extremely slang and colloquial, much more so than tener un orgasmo. The English expression would be inappropriate in polite company, and the Spanish translation should be equally so.
    :thank you::thank you::thank you:

Thanks for grasping the nuances implied in my, apparently absurd to some members of the forum, question.

Sure, but since Rainbowlight is a native Spanish speaker and is asking for help with a translation into Spanish, I am pretty sure that s/he could come up with something that suits his/ her needs, so I wonder what exactly s/he wants/ needs.
    Obviously, I know several examples of Spanish expressions that are equal to the song title. Also obviously, I am asking this question in this forum because I find none of them truly accurate. Therefore, I am asking for help.

Yes, your understanding of the matter is absolutely correct.
    I am a native speaker of Spanish.
    Unfortunately, I find that none of the terms and expressions I can think of are truly accurate as a possible translation.
    Therefore, I ask for help.

Hello @Rainbowlight
    Please confirm whether you are asking for a translation of the phrase in the title from English to Spanish.
    Since you appear to know what the phrase means, it's rather confusing that you don't already know the Spanish equivalent.
    Thank you.
    Indeed, I do confirm that I am asking for a translation of the phrase from English to Spanish.

May I refer you to the very useful answer given by user gengo in this thread? He seems to have grasped the implications of my question quite easily.

Thank you.

Obviously, I know several examples of Spanish expressions that are equal to the song title. Also obviously, I am asking this question in this forum because I find none of them truly accurate. Therefore, I am asking for help.
    That is useful information to put in the OP, for clarification purposes of course

Pero la letra es, digamos, heterosexual y el coro está dirigido a una mujer según interpreto. Sería algo así como Córrete, por acá no empleamos tantas más opciones para orgasmos femeninos.

Hello everyone,

I would like to know which would be the Spanish equivalent of the chorus of Primal Scream's song "Rocks". It is indeed a rock number and the lyrics of the chorus repeat the sentence "Get your rocks off" throughout the song. I've looked up the term in several online dictionaries and they all seem to agree that it is an idiom that means "to have an orgasm".

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
    It’s a very crude and low class way to tell someone to ” go f&&k yourself” ..it may be different in different part of the country USA…but it isn’t feminine or masculine But most would use it to a man… the “rocks” means the male parts

It’s a very crude and low class way to tell someone to ” go f&&k yourself”

Really? I have never heard it used that way. Do you have any examples of usage in that meaning?
    I have only ever heard this expression used to refer to a man having sex (and reaching orgasm, obviously).
    I'm not familiar with the song, and maybe the lyrics are using the phrase differently.

It’s a very crude and low class way to tell someone to ” go f&&k yourself” ..it may be different in different part of the country USA…but it isn’t feminine or masculine But most would use it to a man… the “rocks” means the male parts
    I only know the British description of the expression and it definitely has nothing to do with that! : )

Really? I have never heard it used that way. Do you have any examples of usage in that meaning?
    I have only ever heard this expression used to refer to a man having sex (and reaching orgasm, obviously).
    I'm not familiar with the song, and maybe the lyrics are using the phrase differently.
    The actual name of the song is "Rocks" by Scottish, erm, rock band Primal Scream. It is the sentence "Get your rocks off" that is repeatedly chanted through the chorus of the song. It was released on 1994 as a single and had moderate success. I myself love it.

It occurred to me that maybe Spanish words "éxtasis" (English "ecstasy") or "clímax" (English "climax") might function as a possible translation of the title of the song. After all, the song title is formed by a single word and it is only while listening to the song that we get the meaning of the whole phrase. By the way, I am by no means a prude, but I'm just not very keen on the idea of having the word "orgasmo" as a possible title of a song.

Tantas vueltas para nada.
    En el diccionario Collins, el cual es escocés, pone:
    IDIOM: to get one's rocks off​
    echar un polvo (muy familiar/argot)​
    Hola. Muchas gracias por tu ayuda. Imagino que cuando hablas de "tantas vueltas", te refieres a que tienes la impresión de que estamos complicado de manea innecesaria algo que tiene una solución bien clara y definida. No puedo estar mas en desacuerdo, la verdad. Yo veo "echar un poco" y "tener un orgasmo" como dos proposiciones muy diferentes: una se refiere a la práctica del acto sexual y la otra a un momento concreto de esa práctica... en el caso de que haya de veras un orgasmo. En otras respuestas a mi pregunta ha quedado claro que la expresión también puede significar "pasárselo muy bien", lo que deja claro que la frase no tiene un único sentido. Tu respuesta ayuda a darle otro (creo que el tercero ya) sentido. De nuevo, gracias.

Back