Get yourself a wife and a job and leave my house

< Previous | Next >

Caioveloso

Brazilian portuguese
[Sich etwas besorgen/holen]
Both of these words are translated into English as "to get", a verb whose defintion is very broad, can I use them interchangeably in the contexts below?

Sich eine Arbeit besorgen/holen.

Sich eine Frau/Mann besorgen/holen.

Also, am I right to assume that "sich holen" is more colloquial than "sich besorgen"?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • διαφορετικός

Swiss German - Switzerland
    "holen" beschreibt das Bewegen eines Gegenstandes in die Nähe, so dass er benutzt werden kann.

"besorgen" hat dasselbe Ziel (die Möglichkeit der Nutzung des Gegenstandes), aber es können auch vorbereitende Tätigkeiten gemeint sein, nicht die Bewegung selbst, z.B. den Gegenstand "bestellen".
    Da ich mir nicht vorstellen kann, wie man eine Arbeit "bewegt", würde ich nicht von "holen" sprechen, sondern nur:
    Sich eine Arbeit besorgen.

Hier wäre je nach Kontext beides möglich.

Also, am I right to assume that "sich holen" is more colloquial than "sich besorgen"?
    So klar könnte ich das nicht bestätigen. Ich würde diese Wörter nicht in dieser Hinsicht unterscheiden.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hutschi

Hi, Caioveloso, do you have some context? In which context do you want to use it?

I agree to the others, but we can answer more precisely with additional context for both phrases.

I know you gave some context, but what exactly do you want to say?

To get work - Arbeit bekommen
    To get a husband/wife - What do you want to say?

Caioveloso

Brazilian portuguese
    I'm sorry that I took so long to answer, I might have accidentally unwatched the thread, I know I should have provided some context, so here it goes, I was watching a movie in which a 40-year old man still lives with his mother, she really wants him to leave her house and to live his own life, so she says: "get yourself a wife and a job and leave my house", I was just wondering what this would sound like in German, but as you've already stated "sich holen" and "besorgen" are not the best fitting verbs on this context, so what would it be?

< Previous | Next >