gets onto the top of a tall building, she will feel very

peytons

Chinese Anhui Dialect
_______Susan gets onto the top of a tall building, she will feel very much frightened.

A. Now that B. Even though C. Every time D. Only if

In my personal view, A,C,D are all reasonable to some extent, which is different from the so-called correct key in a test paper, ie, D. Does anybody agree with me?

Last edited:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    According to our rules, you're supposed to tell us which you think is correct, and why. That rule is needed to prevent this forum from becoming a free "do my homework for me" service.

(By the way, the end of this sentence doesn't sound like something a native speaker would write.)

djweaverbeaver

English Atlanta, GA USA
    You first must attempt to give us answer an answer and explain why you think it's correct before we can help you.

Myridon

English - US
    None of the answers result in a correct or natural sentence. I don't like "very much frightened" at all.
    A and B make no sense.
    C. has a tense problem.
    Every time Susan gets on the top of a tall building, she feels very frightened.
    D.'s "only if" requires this change:
    Only if Susan gets on top of a tall building will she feel very frightened.
    Notice that D. now means something very different from C. D says that tall buildings are the only thing that scare her.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm inclined to agree with Myridon; whichever answer is chosen, the sentence will not be correct English. "Every time" is indeed the sensible choice, but in addition to the points Myridon makes, "on top" is odd since, unlike King Kong, people do not normally find themselves on the top of tall buildings. The sentence should read: Every time Susan is at the top [or on the top floor] of a tall building, she feels very frightened.

What was the source of the sentence?

< Previous | Next >