GETTING / TAKING inspiration from me or Inspired by me.

< Previous | Next >

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
  1. I'm a bicycle enthusiast.

I have a picture of Obama riding a bicycle and I want to post it on the social media with the following light-hearted comment.

Which one would be appropriate?

1. Getting inspiration from me, Obama has taken to cycling.

2. Taking inspiration from me, Obama has taken to cycling.

3. Inspired by me, Obama has taken to cycling.

(Please note I obviously did nothing to motivate him. He saw me riding a bike and he got motivated!!)

Thank you

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    To get = to receive (usually as a gift) "I got a bike as my birthday present."
    To take = to remove something from somewhere and into your possession. - "I took a bike that I found on the road."

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    To get = to receive (usually as a gift) "I got a bike as my birthday present."
    To take = to remove something from somewhere and into your possession. - "I took a bike that I found on the road."
    How would you apply this distinction to "take inspiration" and "get inspiration"?:confused:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    How would you apply this distinction to "take inspiration" and "get inspiration"?:confused:
    By understanding the meanings of give and take...

"I took the money from the beggar."
    "The beggar gave me the money."

Do you see a difference?

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    By understanding the meanings of give and take...

"I took the money from the beggar."
    "The beggar gave me the money."

Do you see a difference?
    I think I understand: "give" and "take" are interrelated verbs, i.e. You give something to someone; the other person takes it from you the thing which you have given to them. If you don't give something to someone, the other person cannot say that they have taken something from you. In simpler words, when there's give, then there's take. When there's no give, there's no take.

So, in this case, as the OP did not give inspiration to Obama, he cannot take the inspiration from him. Hence, take inspiration is wrong here.

As we have ruled out "take inspiration", so I think we can use "get inspiration" here. But I don't know how "get inspiration" is different from "take inspiration" :confused:(though I have understood the concept of "take inspiration")
    Would you please mind clearing things up throwing some light one both?
    Thanks.

Loob

English UK
    I'd say that all three of goldencypress's options are possible.

But, like Lun, I prefer (3).

< Previous | Next >