getting the hook seated

Garin

Czech - Czechia
Hello, everyone,
in the TV series "The Walking Dead" two girls are talking about their childhood days spent with their dad fishing.

Andrea:
"I only spent my entire childhood with my ass in a boat. But in my day it was all about getting the hook seated. We were fishing for the dinner table."
Amy: "Not us. We always threw them back. Always."

What exactly does "getting the hook seated" mean here? Is it a fishermen's jargon? Or an idiom I do not know? Could you, please, explain it for me?

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Definition 2 of "seat" as a verb in the WR dictionary is "[to] fit in position." Here, it refers to fitting the hook in position on the fish so the fish will not escape. That is important when one is "fishing for the dinner table," that is, one needs to catch fish in order to eat.

By contrast, Amy doesn't care about eating the fish: "We always threw them back." If one is going to throw the fish back anyway, it is not important to get the hook seated properly. If the fish escapes, so be it.

pwmeek

English - American
    In AE, the term is usually set. "Set the hook before it gets away!" "That hook is really set."

Is "seated" BE for this same operation?

Garin

Czech - Czechia
    Since I am not a native speaker, pwmeek, it is hard to tell, but the TV series "The Walking Dead" is American and the both characters in question are Americans, too.

pwmeek

English - American
    Since I am not a native speaker, pwmeek, it is hard to tell, but the TV series "The Walking Dead" is American and the both characters in question are Americans, too.
    Perhaps the script-writer is not a fisherman. In the US, "blood-sports" (hunting, and yes, fishing) get less popular by the year. I would not be surprised to find total ignorance of fishing as a sport (and of its terms) in eight out of ten urban dwellers.

From a technical standpoint seating the hook is just what you are doing when you set the hook; it just isn't the standard term (in my mid-western experience).

My vote is for "error by scriptwriter".

NGram Viewer: Set the hook is fairly common especially after 1900; seat the hook is invisibly small by comparison. Similarly for set/seat a hook.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >