ghouls that people the river,who send their [...] breat back

< Previous | Next >

Giorgino

Italian
Hello everybody,

there's a sentence that, despite of its simple syntax, leaves me a pretty confused.

"The ghouls that people the river, who send their dying breath back, day after day, in the form of the fog that blights the place, mists up the new Disney facades with mystery droplets ...".

Before in the novel it has been said that these ghouls breath deathly. Now, how's possible that they themselves send their breath back? It's more likely that is the river (accordingly also to the meaning expressed thereafter) that sends them back their breath. But since there's no "s" after send, I'm forced to read it as if they do all by themselves.

Do you think another reading is possible?

Thank you

• RobertaLynn

US English
    The meaning here seems unambiguous to me. It's definitely the ghouls who send their breath back or it wouldn't say "who" but "that" or possibly "which".
    You could read it as "...the ghouls' breath comes back, day after day, as fog...", maybe that's easier to understand.

Giorgino

Italian
    I see, thanks. Yes the sentence is understandable, but to me (and I have to stress, to me) it would have sound more logical otherwise, i.e. with the river sending back to the city their deadly breath, in form of "mystery droplets".

Anyway, thank you for your contribute, now I know how to read it properly. :)

< Previous | Next >