Giant economy size cough medicine bottle

PulauPandan

Indonesian
The following sentence really confuses me.
"He bought the giant economy size cough medicine bottle"
I think 'giant' here modifies bottle.-giant cough medicine bottle-. But I do not understand the 'economy size'. Does 'economy size' here modify 'bottle'? Or does it modify cough medicine?
I can't make the tree diagram for this sentence without understanding the modifiers, which is which? Please, somebody help me with my problem above?
Thanks a million.

• Valvs

Russian
    The phrase "economy size" (or "economy-size", with a hyphen) is often used as a modifier meaning "larger than the regular size". If you buy a large pack or bottle of something, you typically pay less per unit of whatever is contained within, hence the idea of economy.
    This particular economy-size bottle is not simply "larger": it happens to be huge (at least in the opinion of the speaker).

Copyright

American English
    Just a note to add to Valvs excellent explanation... in the original sentence, he's only buying a bottle, not any medicine. The normal way to phrase this if you want to combat a cold is: "He bought the giant, economy-sized bottle of cough medicine."

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    "Economy size" would usually be sufficient to indicate that a bottle is very big. The addition of "giant" can either be regarded as 1/ redundant or as 2/ intensifying the scale of the bottle:

1/ The cough medicine is available in 125ml (regular) and 500ml (economy size) bottles. "He bought the giant economy size cough medicine bottle"
    2/ The cough medicine is available in 125ml (regular), 500ml (economy size) and now in the new 1L (giant economy size) bottles.

Edit in response to Copyright's note on commas:
    3/ The cough medicine is available in 125ml (regular) and 1L (economy size) bottles.
    "He bought the giant, economy size cough medicine bottle"

The presence of a comma indicates that "giant" modifies "bottle" instead of "economy size".

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Edit in response to Copyright's note on commas:
    3/ The cough medicine is available in 125ml (regular), 1L (economy size) bottles.
    "He bought the giant, economy size cough medicine bottle"

The presence of a comma indicates that "giant" modifies "bottle" instead of "economy size".
    Just the way I want it. :)

< Previous | Next >