Gill hook

EvaH

Czech
Hello,

In the book "Parrot and Olivier in America" I came upon the word "gill hook". I was not successful with my dictionaries and I am not a fisher. Could someone, please, explain to me, what it means?

Context: Monsieur and Parrot are on board an English ship. Monsieur is a Frenchman and he France is in war with England. That's why Monsieur pretends he is mute. The clergyman suspects him he is French and is trying to address Monsieur in French. Monsieur punishes him for that:

Et quel est le but de votre voyage?’ the clergyman insisted, but he had not reached voyage before he yelped, and then I understood Monsieur, who was smiling in the most amiable way imaginable, had his hand like a gill hook in the chaplain’s flesh.

Thank you for your answers.

• JamesM

I don't know of a hook that is called a gill hook. To me, to "gill hook" something is to accidentally catch a fish by catching the hook in the fish's gills. Maybe he is using the painful and damaging effects of a hook caught in a fish's gill as an image to describe the way the man's hand was biting into the chaplain's flesh.

Egmont

English - U.S.

EvaH

Czech
    All your suggestions seem very interesting. It is an English ship called Samarand transporting convicts to penal colonies in Australia. There's no mention about Samoa.

< Previous | Next >