ginigrogia

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by igusarov, Jul 11, 2018.

1. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Hello,

I came across this unfamiliar word while reading English translation of a Finnish report about an incident accident in aviation. It seems that the original translator simply transliterated it from the Finnish text. Online dictionaries and online translators offer no sensible translation too, so I would like to ask you to explain the meaning of this word (marked bold in the quote below). The context is post-mortem examination of the bodies of two pilots.
    Thank you!

---
    Edit: More specifically, does that word refer to any specific amount of beverage?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    It sounds like a mix of gin and grog.

3. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Well, it looks reasonable... The point is, the whole quoted excerpt goes about the amount of alcohol detected in the bodies, comparing it to the amount consumed. And the list in parentheses is here to show exactly how much they had consumed. If such interpretation is correct then I would naturally expect "ginigrogia" to imply some specific amount of beverage. Does it?

4. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    Shots? I don't know. I don't drink, and this is the first time I've seen this word.

5. hui Senior Member

Finnish
    grogi = 4 cl of (any) spirit + (soda) water

ginigrogi = 4 cl of gin + (soda) water

6. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Thank you!