(girl) set

Amber_1010

Chinese-Cantonese
Hello!

I've noticed something in my country.
At the restaurants, when we order food, we look at the menu, say, there are 7 sets of food we can choose from. Each set is named with a English alphabet. Like, A Set, with a picture and description of food. And then B Set, with a picture and description of food. And so on.

Suppose I want G set. Hong Kong people would say something like "I want a girl set." to refer to G set. Because G can stand for girls. And somehow, we understand each other.
But that made me think of something. I think native speakers would never say things like that, we simply say "I want a G set please.". Because I think native speakers pronounce alphabets correctly and they never get confused or misunderstand each other.
I thought of the reasons people in HK do this, not everyone speaks English and some people get confused by sounds like t and d.
But I think if I'm pronouncing it correctly, and I'm in an English speaking country, native speakers will understand me and won't be confused by the sounds like t&d, right? Since it's (the difference) kind of obvious to native speakers.

Do you do the thing HK people do? Say like if you are traveling in a non-English speaking world?

Please tell me what you think or would say instead.

Thanks so much:)

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Well, in my country we do not have such arrangements in restaurants or if we have a set menu, say lunch or dinner menu, we give the menu a full name, e.g. 'Sea joys' or 'kid's menu'.

If I opened a HK menu and saw those single-letter names, I would not hesitate to say 'Set G for me, please!' :)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I haven't come across it with letters being used, but England it seems to be very common in Chinese takeaways to number all the items on the menu, so you just order a number 32 and a number 65.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I haven't come across it with letters being used, but England it seems to be very common in Chinese takeaways to number all the items on the menu, so you just order a number 32 and a number 65.
    :thumbsup: Yes, here too. An average Chinese menu will go up to the high 200s. :)

< Previous | Next >