Girlfriend and Boyfriend meaning

< Previous | Next >

Dimmas

Russian
Explain me please what does mean word "Girlfriend" for girl and "Boyfriend" for boy?

Can a man say “my boyfriend” when he just wants to emphasize that he means his friend male or it will mean that they are gays?

And can a man have a girlfriend and not to have close relations with her? In other words will it be correct if a man calls his friend’s wife a girlfriend?

Thanks in advance. Dimmas.

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Generally speaking.....

• Heterosexual men have girlfriends and friends.
      • Homosexual men have boyfriends and friends.
      • Heterosexual women have boyfriends, girlfriends and friends.
      • Homosexual women have girlfriends and friends.
    Others will disagree violently with me, and may even post messages saying so. Ignore them - I will. ;)

GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    I violently disagree.:)

I think that homosexual men can have boyfriends, friends and girlfriends.
    But regarding Dimmas' post:

Can a man say “my boyfriend” when he just wants to emphasize that he means his friend male or it will mean that they are gays? It will mean that they are gay, probably. If he needs to specify that his friend is male without naming names, something like "my male friend" makes it clear.

And can a man have a girlfriend and not to have close relations with her? In other words will it be correct if a man calls his friend’s wife a girlfriend? I agree with maxiogee. This would just be a "friend".

GEmatt

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I gently disagree.
    Heterosexual males are the most friendship-inhibited of Tony's groups :D
    They are not likely to admit to having boyfriends, and a friend's girlfriend is just a friend, no matter how friendly.

The other three categories would admit to friends, boyfriends and girlfriends.

ADMP

Sinhaleese - Sri Lanka
    As I know friends can be boys and grils. But if somebody says that " he is my girl friend" does it mean that she is in love with him or is it ok to say that she is my gril friend / he is my boy friend.

sandrag

España-español/catalán
    if you say she is my girlfriend/ he is my boyfriend everybody will understand that you're a couple.

if you say she is my friend, you don't need to say "girl" because of the subject "she". it indicates that she is feminine.
    the same happens to he is my friend. you don't need to say "boy"

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    I've got a question similar to this thread so I revived it: I heard a female use "my girl friends" to refer to the female friends of her, does it sound odd to you?

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thank you very mcuh for your replies, sound shift and panj. I just want to be certain that if a man refers to the male friends of his as my boy friends, it'd sound odd; but if a woman refers to the female friends of her as my girls friends, then it'd be fine.

Pticru

U.S.-- English
    I think we are over-complicating this. Generally, the use of "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" by anyone, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, is usually used to mean someone that person has a serious relationship with: they are a "couple". Exception: women sometimes use "girlfriend" to mean just a normal friend.

Whatever else falls outside of this may be just people taking liberties with the connotations of common-use. A woman saying "my girl friends" or "my girlfriends" may simply be making a distinction in context, so as not to imply that she is talking about all her friends, both men and women.

Pticru

U.S.-- English
    Generally speaking.....
      • Heterosexual men have girlfriends and friends.
      • Homosexual men have boyfriends and friends.
      • Heterosexual women have boyfriends, girlfriends and friends.
      • Homosexual women have girlfriends and friends.
    Others will disagree violently with me, and may even post messages saying so. Ignore them - I will. ;)
    I disagree in the sense that this does not at all explain what "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" means, which is what I think Dimmas is asking. Putting it in the plural gives the impression, for example, that heterosexual men have "girlfriends", when in fact they normally have "a girlfriend" and "friends", the convention is usually one at a time! It of course gets more complicated from there...anthropologically speaking.

< Previous | Next >