girly swot

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The "a person who works or studies hard" from that thread is a main component but the implication is that the swot has no (other) redeeming features in their character.

Uncle Jack

British English
    The "a person who works or studies hard" from that thread is a main component but the implication is that the swot has no (other) redeeming features in their character.
    No, it does not concern itself with other redeeming features. It combines two ideas, that being clever or studying hard (it could apply to either; "swot" does not necessarily mean studiousness) is a negative thing, and it then associates this with girls/women.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    No, it does not concern itself with other redeeming features. It combines two ideas, that being clever or studying hard (it could apply to either; "swot" does not necessarily mean studiousness) is a negative thing, and it then associates this with girls/women.
    I think in the OP, the "being a swot" implies a boring person who (tries to) studies hard (but may or may not succeed in learning much) and is a negative. We used it that way at my school, anyway.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I agree with JulianStuart about "swot".

"girly" = timid; given to panicking; easily scared, unadventurous, etc.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Just to note that Johnson is reported as having been very upset he did not get a First Class degree like David Cameron. Sour grapes, I suppose.

< Previous | Next >