git along

< Previous | Next >

nicky_nichols

Russian-Russia
Hello to everyone!

The source:

"War Dogs" by Greg Bear (a science fiction novel)

The context:

Skyrines (Space Marines) are dropped on Mars. They usually get instructions from satellites, but this time their orbital assets are brought down, so they don't know where to go.

Newly arrived space frames keep spewing them (new satellites) out, along with Skyrines and transport sleds, but a lot of the time, when we arrive, we don’t know right away where we are or what we’re supposed to do. We’re trained to just git along. Staying mobile makes you a tougher target. We call it drunkard’s walk.

Can you please explain what "git along" means?

Thank you in advance!

• ciccirocco

italiano
    I think it's slang and "git" means "get". So we are trained to just get along, which means to go on. wait for other answers though :)

JustKate

Git/get along can mean several different things, but what I think it means here is "do the best we can under the circumstances." That's not what it means in the thread SDG linked, but I think that's what it means here.

Packard

USA, English
    I think "git along" is used like the lyric in "Whoopee-Ti-Yi-Yo-Git Along Little Dogies"

http://www.kbapps.com/lyrics/cowboy-songs/Whoopee-Ti-Yi-Yo-GitAlongLittleDogies.php

Whoopee ti yi yo, git along little dogies,
    It's your misfortune, and none of my own.
    Whoopee ti yi yo, git along little dogies,
    For you know Wyoming will be your new home.

Note: A dogie is a motherless calf.

In essence it means "get a move on it" or "keep moving". And that fits with the "moving target" comment.

nicky_nichols

Russian-Russia
    Thank you all for your replies! You helped me so much!

I think "keep moving" fits the context perfectly.

A nice cowboy song by the way! :) I've never heard it before.

< Previous | Next >