git-up

< Previous | Next >

sami33

arabic
Hi everybody!

I know from WR that "git" means "an unpleasant or contemptible person" (Brit. informal). But I'm not sure about the meaning of git-up. Please what does mean?

Jeepers creepers, where'd you get those peepers?
Jeepers creepers, where'd you get those eyes?
Gosh all git-up, how'd you get so lit up?
Gosh all git up, how'd it get that size?

Source: Jeepers Creepers Lyrics sung by Louis Armstrong

Thank you so much to every WR member

Last edited:
  • morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    1. It is not Sinatra's words or music. It's Mercer / Warren. And the first performer was Armstrong.

2. "Git up" - get up. That is, "stand up"

Yes, "git up" is "get up," which means "stand up" as a verb but "outfit" or "costume" as a noun in the form "get-up." Anyway, I wouldn't bet that anyone ever actually said "gosh all get/git up." :) It's pretty much a meaningless phrase expressing amazement at a pair of lovely "peepers," used because it rhymes with "lit up." The song is from 1938, when novelty songs with nonsensical lyrics were very popular.

JamesM

I agree with a little edgy. It's simply a phrase expressing astonishment, similar to "he's crazy as all git out!" "All git/get out" doesn't mean anything, as far as I know.

ExpatCat

Spanish, Cursive (bilingual)
    "All git/get out" doesn't mean anything, as far as I know.
    Hello James,
    As a matter of fact I ran into this phrase "all get out" while reading a book and looked it up. The dictionary (thefreedictionary.com) defines it this way:
    The utmost degree that is possible or even imaginable.

In the US you use it to mean that very same thing, right?
    :)

Best,
    Jose.

JamesM

Yes, but there is no way to assign that meaning to those particular words that I can see. It's an idiom. What I meant was that there is no such thing as a "get out" and you can't have "a little get out", "some get out" or "no get out". :) The expression is fixed as "all get out".

"Gosh all git up", to me, is the same kind of thing. There is no way to break it apart into meaningful components. It's like "Golly gosh gee whiz!" (although there are some euphemisms hidden in that one).

< Previous | Next >