give a bollix [bollocks]

< Previous | Next >

joh2001smile

Chinese
I did a google search and found this:
"Bollocks" is a word of Anglo Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in English, as a noun to mean "nonsense, ***"
Does give a bollix mean "I don't want to hear such nonsense"?
Context:
‘Friend,’ said Mr Hall, raising a hand to silence me and giving me what he might have termed a smile. ‘I don’t give a bollix.’

Last edited:
  • Cypherpunk

US, English
    :warning: 'Bollix' is an alternate spelling of 'bollocks'. It's one of the more profane words commonly used in BE, although most AE speakers have little or no idea what it means.

To 'give a bollocking' is to thoroughly thrash or verbally abuse someone, but 'don't give a bollocks' would be the same as 'don't give a shit' in AE (I think the offensiveness would be very close for both statements, in other words, quite offensive and vulgar!)

Cypherpunk

US, English
    It's in the articles (usually). 'The dog's bollocks' is good, while 'you made a (right) bollocks of that' is bad. Actually, there's more to it than that, but that's the quick check for Yanks.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    [....]
    Does give a bollix mean "I don't want to hear such nonsense"?
    Context:
    ‘Friend,’ said Mr Hall, raising a hand to silence me and giving me what he might have termed a smile. ‘I don’t give a bollix.’
    Usually "I don't give a [something]" means "I don't care at all; I don't want to hear about it". That seems to me the meaning here.

There are already three threads on bollocks [bullocks] that may interest you:

< Previous | Next >