give a face to the courageous...

< Previous | Next >

chobalsim

Banned
India-Hindi
These photos kept the spirit of resistance alive. They inspired many others to resist by giving a face to the courageous.

What words can be substituted for "a face"?

• buddingtranslator

English, England
    "They inspired many others to resist by giving an embodiment of courageousness."

"They inspired many others to resist by giving an identity to the courageous."

Why do you want to change it? It's fine with "face".

BT

GenJen54

USA - English
    I agree with buddingtranslator, "a face" makes it personal. In essence, it is telling us that this is a deeply "human" story.

If "face" absolutely will not work, I also like buddingtranslator's suggestion of "an identity."

chobalsim

Banned
    India-Hindi
    Thank you buddingtranslator and GenJen54.
    I don't want to change a word "a face". I just want to know the exact meaning of the phrase by your recommanded words. :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    chobalsim said:
    These photos kept the spirit of resistance alive. They inspired many others to resist by giving a face to the courageous.
    The photos showed that "the courageous" were real people, not only words spoken or written.
    As a modern example, we hear of people in need in some remote part of the world. We are asked to contribute. The charities looking for our generosity use individual people to make the situation much more real to us - so inspiring us to contribute by giving a face to the needy.

< Previous | Next >