give an advantage (soccer/football)

keramus

Persian
Hello everybody

I'm watching a soccer match. A player tackles another player and commits a foul but the referee doesn't blow his whistle. He gives an advantage.

Soccer-Ref-Advantage-1.jpg

Does the highlighted part sound correct in English?

Please tell me your opinion.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    While you can use an article with "advantage", the term I usually hear is "plays advantage".
    Of course, this only applies if a member of the fouled player's team gains possession of the ball immediately after the foul.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It's been qite a while since I heard UK commentators (so I can;t tell if thios is an AE/BE thing) but the FA has Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct

ADVANTAGE

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution / send off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution / send off must be issued when the ball is next out of play, except for the denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity when the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

sound shift

English - England
    I think it's a case of official usage (FA website) vs. colloquial and commentators' usage: I have never heard anyone say "the referee plays the advantage"; only "the referee plays advantage".

< Previous | Next >