give away most of his "fortune/fortunes"

< Previous | Next >

Japanese and Japan
The passage below is part of what I transcribed, listening to a radio program. The blank below is where I got stuck.

Which, #1 or #2, below, do you think she said for the blank below?
1. fortune
2. fortunes

I transcribed #2, but some people around me say it should be #1 becasue they usally see a plural form for the word "fortune," meaning money.

<S>: This vignette was prompted by news about Warren Buffett...
<C>: Ah!
<S>: ... giving away most of his ( ) to Bill Gates Foundation.

• JamesM

I'm confused by your question. People around you say that it should be plural but they picked #1, which is singular?

I would expect the singular here. "His fortune". I would also expect "to the Bill Gates Foundation." (I suppose it could also be, "to Bill Gates' foundation.")

If you were talking about large amounts of money being made or lost, the plural would work. For example: "Over the years he has made and lost fortunes" or "There are fortunes to be made in real estate if you only know the secret." Sometimes people even say, "He made three fortunes" which simply means he made an unbelievably large amount of money. When talking about someone's personal wealth, though, I think it's almost always in the singular.

Japanese and Japan
    Thank you, JamesM.
    I'm confused by your question. People around you say that it should be plural but they picked #1, which is singular?
    I'm sorry I made an error. The following is the corrected version.

The passage below is part of what I transcribed, listening to a radio program. The blank below is where I got stuck.

Which, #1 or #2, below, do you think she said for the blank below?
    1. fortune
    2. fortunes

I transcribed #2, but some people around me say it should be #1 becasue they usally see a singular form for the word "fortune," meaning money.

<S>: This vignette was prompted by news about Warren Buffett...
    <C>: Ah!
    <S>: ... giving away most of his ( ) to Bill Gates Foundation.

< Previous | Next >