give birth to a company

violetta!

Italian
Hi!

Can I use the expression "to give birth to" even for a company or do I have to use it only for children or puppies?

Thank you

• mancunienne girl

English - England
    You do see this used metaphorically sometimes. However, it depends on how it fits in with the general context/gist of what you are saying. You usually "establish" or "set up" companies.

violetta!

Italian
    "Company A and company B were moved to the new plant giving birth to company C".
    I think it fits, doesn't it?

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    I agree with mancunienne girl - establish or set up is more natural in the context of companies.

I would suggest something like

"Company A and Company B were moved to the new plant, which led to the establishment of Company C."

boozer

Bulgarian
    Or maybe they "merged together into company C" ?

or

"and thus company C was born" if you want to use metaphorical language

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    If the meaning is that company A and company B actually become one unified company, then I agree with boozer - using merged together/was born is better as it actually makes this clearer.

If, however, moving company A and company B led to the establishment of company C (and there are now three companies), don't use merge.

It's not very clear what the original means - I think we need more context on this one :)

boozer

Bulgarian
    If, however, moving company A and company B led to the establishment of company C (and there are now three companies), don't use merge.

It's not very clear what the original means - I think we need more context on this one :)
    :eek: You're right! I assumed they merged together...

Myridon

English - US
    I'm writing about the history of Company C, which was born from the merging of company A and B.
    I think "born" would be a better metaphor for a company that was split off from the original company or created by the original company while the original still exists. Your parents didn't cease to exist when you were born, did they? :)

< Previous | Next >