Give birth

• liuzix

Mandarin
    Is this your own sentence, or did you read/hear it somewhere, liuzix?
    I read it in a book Outline of Classical Chinese Grammar, which was written by a Canadian sinologist.

The author gave this sentence as the translation of a sentence in ancient Chinese, <Chinese removed>, which I would render into English as "Six months after I was born, I was deserted by the death of my loving father." Yet the author gave a translation "Six months after he gave me birth, I was deserted ..."

I know that sometimes interpretation of ancient Chinese texts can be controversial. I just wonder if the author's version is sound English or merely an attempt to demonstrate his own literal interpretation of the ancient text.

Last edited by a moderator:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    (Very BTW, "Canadian sinologist gives me hope for posterity! Quite eloquent. Love it.)

"Six months after I was born, I was deserted by the death of my loving father."
    Six months after he gave me birth, I was deserted ..."

Hmmm ... I might say:
    I invented this whole idea/concept.
    I'm the one who came up with this.

echo_cheng

Chinese - China
    <Chinese removed>,my father died when I was only six months old. It doesn't make sense a dead person deserts someone or something. My English is not good enough to give a better explanation, I just try to be helpful. :)According to Collins dictionary,
    • 4.​
      V-T If someone deserts you, they go away and leave you, and no longer help or support you. <Chinese removed>
      <Chinese removed>
      Mrs. Roding's husband deserted her years ago.

<Chinese removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

liuzix

Mandarin
    I used "deserted by the death of" just to keep consistent with the author's style of translation. I know better way of expressing this in English.
    I find the authors choose of words laughable and want to find out whether natives speakers feel the same way.

< Previous | Next >