give birth

< Previous | Next >
  • emma42

British English
    It's certainly correct English to say "...bore baby Y", but it sounds literary and not very conversational. It would be unusual to say it.

How about:

Mrs X had baby Y.
    Mrs X produced baby Y.

However, I would still prefer "gave birth to". This is, in my opinion, the most idiomatic way of saying what you want to say. What is the context, if any? It may be that I could advise better if I knew the particular context.

Elwintee

England English
    Rather than saying, Mrs.X gave birth to baby Y, can I say' Mrs.X bore (...)baby Y. Is there any other way to avoid 'birth' and yet express that meaning?
    Perhaps it's more usual to say this in two separate sentences. You can say "Mrs X has had a baby. He/she is called Tim/Sarah." Even in newspaper announcements it is usually phrased as: "Mr and Mrs X announce the birth of their son Mark/daughter Alice".

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
    <<<>>> context is that in the conversations, a friend of an expectant mother conveys the message to another mutual friend that the pregnant mother has finally delivered a baby.

In such a context, can one say, 'the mother bore a baby' ?

henryhiggins

USA English
    "She delivered her baby..." is perfectly correct, although common usage (in the US) is that the doctor delivered the baby. The dictionary supports the mother delivering it.

All the suggestions above are great, and had a baby is probably the most obvious, common and colloquial.

But I do understand what you are after, Dr.Appalayya, as we have such a word in my native language and - particularly after actually having the babies myself - I found it extremely frustrating that English doesn't have a commonly used, active, transitive verb for giving birth! To give birth is quite nice in a general motherly life-giving sense, but it doesn't really convey the idea of the process.

Additionally, and at a tangent, there is also no commonly-used special word for the post-partum period of several weeks. I even at times had suspicions that the lack of this term is exactly why they chuck you out of the hospital after 6 hours and you are allowed to go back to work 2 weeks afterwards (at least here in the UK).

< Previous | Next >