give him a nip

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from Treasure Island, by R. L. Island.

Speaker is a marooned sailor for three years.
He has been found finally and now he asks Jim to mention about him to other people.

I could not figure out what "give him a nip" means.

Thanks

"Just you mention them words to your squire, Jim," he went on. "Nor he weren't, neither—that's the words. Three years he were the man of this island, light and dark, fair and rain; and sometimes he would maybe think upon a prayer (says you), and sometimes he would maybe think of his old mother, so be as she's alive (you'll say); but the most part of Gunn's time (this is what you'll say)—the most part of his time was took up with another matter. And then you'll give him a nip, like I do."

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Perhaps he meant "give him a little pinch", since you said in a earlier post, if memory serves, "...a little nip - like so - ...", and Ben Gunn couldn't very well have given Jim Hawkins a "little nip" of 'spirits' (strong alcohol, probably rum), could he?

Last edited:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    @ Miss Julie: Because he'd been on a desert island for years! Where could he have gotten the booze? Nothing in the novel indicates that he'd built a still. PS, I said "probably rum", because sailors often "hobnob in rum" (as Sherlock Holmes put it in "The Adventure of Black Peter"), but they usually refer to it as a "tot" of rum.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >