give him an one -dollar bill and get an one-dollar coin back

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member

In my region, some stores provide a kind of game for small children.
Generally you put an one-dollar coin into the slot on the game machine, and then you begin to play on it.
No bill accepted.

Sometimes, people don't have any coin, but just have a credit card or some bills, including one-dollar bills.

If they let their children play on this kind of machine, they need to go to the cashier and give an one-dollar bill to him/her and then get an one-dollar coin back.

What do you call this action?

For instance, I tell my child before I go to the cashier, "Let me go and ?"

Can I say "exchange this bill for a coin?"

  • Truffula

    Senior Member
    English - USA
    Yes, "Let me go and exchange this bill for a coin" works very well.

    By the way, it would be "a one-dollar bill" not "an" ... because even though when written "one" starts with a vowel, it's not pronounced that way; it's pronounced the same as "won" in "I won a prize."


    Senior Member
    English - AmE
    I trust that these are Hong Kong dollars, as in America our dollar coins are very unpopular and not likely to be available from an ordinary store's cashier.
    < Previous | Next >