Give it a rest

< Previous | Next >

涼宮

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
Good evening!

Do you have an idiom to say ''stop doing something''? in English you can use ''give it a rest''.

For instance:

I was worrying about my sister all the time but I needed to give it a rest.

Thanks in advance!

• dreamlike

Polish
    Hi ;)

Of course we do, Suzumiya. There are plenty to choose from, but usually it's conveyed by: Daj sobie spokój. (you could well say: Daj sobie siana, but mind you, it's very informal - and, in some instances and settings, best avoided)

Przez cały czas martwiłem się o moją siostrę, ale dałem sobie spokój.

涼宮

Thank you sir! How curious, the Polish version is pretty similar to the English one :D I thought I would see an expression completely different from the English one.

dreamlike

Polish
    I'm sure you are well-familiar with the Tower of Babel story, according to which humans used to speak one language - well, as you can readily see, there might be some truth to it :D

Last edited:

涼宮

Yes, well, if that's the case at least I will struggle less with some expressions in Polish. If they would speak one language, that means that isolated languages like Japanese, Korean, Euskara are from another planet? :rolleyes:

Can you think of another expression for ''give it a rest'' in Polish? I would like some more synonyms to vary more my speech when needed.

dreamlike

Polish
    Well, I meant it as a joke (probably a lame one). The story has it that all people spoke one language (the Japanese and the Koreans including). If it's of any interest to you, Here's the link.

Offhand, I can't think of any other expressions. Perhaps, "machnąłem na coś ręką" (which is an idiom) would work in some contexts.

(1) Przez dwie godziny próbowałem wytłumaczyć jej czym jest "spalony" w piłce nożnej, ale w końcu machnąłem na to ręką.

< Previous | Next >