give it an entirely different spin

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "give it an entirely different spin" means in the following sentences:

There are people who come on to you with friction. Chafing starts intimacy; and strife, like spite, is the shortest distance to the heart.
Before you finish your sentence, they nip it from your mouth and give it an entirely different spin, making it seem you had been secretly hinting at things you never knew you wanted and would easily have lived without but that you now crave, the way I craved that cup of punch—and with goodies thrown in, exactly as she’d promised, as though the whole evening and much, much more hung on that cup of punch.

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, First Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. The protagonist meets Clara at a New year's eve party. Here, Clara is trying to get him a cup of fruit punch. When she insists that she would bring the fruit punch for him even when he politely declined her offer, the protagonist thinks how her manner is beginning to make him crave for the fruit punch.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
I learned in other threads that "give a spin" can mean "give something a try", but I am not sure whether that can fit into this context. o_O
So I found this meaning in our WR dictionary, and I wonder it might have to do with this context:

spin - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
14. Government[Slang.]a particular viewpoint or bias, esp. in the news;
slant:After the presidential debates each side put its favorable spin on the results.

If I had found the right meaning :D, I am guessing that "spin" might mean "a viewpoint/interpretation" about the sentence, but I am not sure how one can give the sentence an entirely different "spin".
By "spin", I get the image where one is turning the sentence around and around.... o_O

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• owlman5

English-US
    I am guessing that "spin" might mean "a viewpoint/interpretation" about the sentence, but I am not sure how one can give the sentence an entirely different "spin".
    You can do that by misinterpreting a remark to mean something that the speaker did not intend. People often do this in their responses to remarks made by people whom they do not like for one reason or another. If you don't like somebody, it is easy to give a negative spin to this person's comments. It is easy to assume that this person is trying to say something nasty or negative.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear owlman5,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    So "spin" can mean "a negative interpretation", which is derived from its meaning of "bias/viewpoint" in the OP!

And, "give the sentence an entirely different spin" would mean that one "provides the sentence with an entirely different viewpoint, likely in a negative way." Because one does not like the speaker, one wants to twist the sentence and to interpret the sentence in a nasty and negative manner.

I truly appreciate your help, for letting me understand. :)