give me a hug and let me give you a hug

< Previous | Next >

Jerome-dong

Chinese-China
Hi everyone,

Does "give me a hug" always mean the person says that is sad or longly and need a hug as comfort? When you want comfort someone who is sad, can you say "give me a hug"? Or it has to be "let me give you a hug"?

Thanks!

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It's tricky answering 3 questions at once...I guess I have to copy your questions, to be clear.

1. Does "give me a hug" always mean the person says that is sad or lonely and need a hug as comfort? No.

2. When you want comfort someone who is sad, can you say "give me a hug"? Yes

3. Or it has to be "let me give you a hug"? No.

lingobingo

English - England
    There's little or no difference. But you might also say "give me a hug" to someone who has just given you some good news, so is happy, not sad.

"Guess what, Dad. ! I passed my driving test first time!"
    "Well done, love. Give me a hug!"

Personally, I'm inclined to say that "Let me give you a hug" would be used more often in order to comfort someone.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    2. When you want to comfort someone who is sad, can you say "give me a hug"?
    You should be offering to hug the sad person!
    You might ask for a hug when you need comforting.

3. Or does it have to be "let me give you a hug"?.
    Yes, you ask the sad person's permission to hug them. However it's meaningless because the person has no opportunity to reply, for example, 'Touch me and I kill you!'
    My hugging is spontaneous: I neither express my intention or request permission.

From an ancient- British cultural aspect, I'm not sure who would actually, ever, say this, or when. If I want to hug people and think it's appropriate behaviour, I just do it whether the hug recipient likes it or not.
    'Hugs', represented by brackets ((((( - ))))), have become significant on the web for expressing sympathy.

Jerome-dong

Chinese-China
    Yes, you ask the sad person's permission to hug them. However it's meaningless because the person has no opportunity to reply, for example, 'Touch me and I kill you!'
    My hugging is spontaneous: I neither express my intention or request permission.

From an ancient- British cultural aspect, I'm not sure who would actually, ever, say this, or when. If I want to hug people and think it's appropriate behaviour, I just do it whether the hug recipient likes it or not.
    'Hugs', represented by brackets ((((( - ))))), have become significant on the web for expressing sympathy.
    Thank you, pob14! ((((( - )))))
    Does it have to be 5 brackets each side? :)

Jerome-dong

Chinese-China
    There's little or no difference. But you might also say "give me a hug" to someone who has just given you some good news, so is happy, not sad.

"Guess what, Dad. ! I passed my driving test first time!"
    "Well done, love. Give me a hug!"

Personally, I'm inclined to say that "Let me give you a hug" would be used more often in order to comfort someone.
    Thanks, Lingobingo!

Jerome-dong

Chinese-China

Thank you, dojibear!

< Previous | Next >