Give off a certain image

Louise22d

English
I was wondering how you would say "give off a certain image" as in, it is true to say that something/someone does give off a certain image (of their nature).

The sentence in context is talking about the difference in family closeness between English and French students, and I wish to say that I can understand how English student life on a campus would give off such an image.

I've tried with;
mais après avoir y pensé la vie sur un campus peut apparait comme cela.

Thank you!

• Gil

Français, Canada
    Avec cette construction, le sujet de l'infinitif (avoir pensé) doit être le même que celui de la proposition principale (la vie), ce qui n'est pas possible. (La vie ne pense pas.)
    Suggestion:
    Tout compte fait, la vie sur un campus peut être perçue de cette façon.

Louise22d

English
    Thank you everyone, really good suggestions!
    Snarkhunter, is there any rule I should remember relating to the positioning of "y" and "avoir" as I get a little confused with pronoun positioning sometimes.

Lula_bella I think your suggestion works really well for what I'm trying to say, thanks a lot, I will use that one!

Gil, I may be confused but I didn't mean 'la vie pense' 'je pense que la vie ...' but I think that I see what you're trying to say with a passive construction.

Louise

snarkhunter

French - France
    Thank you everyone, really good suggestions!
    Snarkhunter, is there any rule I should remember relating to the positioning of "y" and "avoir" as I get a little confused with pronoun positioning sometimes.

Lula_bella I think your suggestion works really well for what I'm trying to say, thanks a lot, I will use that one!

Gil, I may be confused but I didn't mean 'la vie pense' 'je pense que la vie ...' but I think that I see what you're trying to say with a passive construction.

Louise
    I'd say "y" should be found before the auxiliary/verb it is directly related to (which can be a conjugated or an infinitive form).

J'y viens (je viens là/à cela)
    Je vais y aller (aller là)
    etc...

< Previous | Next >